19 November 2009

The Musician's Promise

Crowds around me, undeserving
I hold my breath and let my gaze fall
They shouldn't have to see this.
I am not their fault.

Yearning within me, undeserving
I turn out the light and curl in the dark
Hope is too sharp to handle.
I belong in the black.

I want to give but have nothing.
I want to love but do not feel.
I want to dance but can only stumble.

Music surrounds me, unexpected
I lift my feet and they become less heavy
The musician's gift surprises me.
I am undeserving.

Then he speaks:

If you will walk, I will play
If you will speak, I will harmonize
If you will lift your eyes, I will make the colours

And you will be undeserving.

But

You will give the beauty you find
You will love out of joy in harmony
You will dance as if you flew

And the crowd around you, undeserving
will come to take, to feel, and to see
Welcome them all in from the black.
I made hope for the undeserving.

No comments:

Post a Comment