12 July 2009

See

Time stands behind me like a wall.
Back there is my camp.
It is where I pitched my tent.
My pots and towels and blankets hang in their places.
They are not waiting for me.
Time herded me away long ago.

Time stands before me like a gauntlet.
Ahead are questions and uncertainties.
There I keep my fears, because I can see
where the ground falls away from underneath.
These leaps are designed for feet more sure than mine.
Those flights are made for legs more brash and sturdy.
I am tired already and I cannot see the end.
Time waits impatiently, demanding.

Time stands beside me, a breathless companion
Trembling like a sweet high note
Eager eyed and humming with intensity
Pointing there to show a crimson splash
A flower.
Running here to bring me to
a laughing gurgle and shattered light
A brook.
Time dances at the edges tugging me and pleading:
Only look. Just see.

I smile to time behind.
I nod to time ahead.
I slip my palm into the hand of time
and together we walk to the first precipice.

Time always wants to fly.

1 comment:

  1. I don't know how to say thank you properly. Beauty and straight forward truth stirred together like this... It makes for something very powerful. Thank you thank you, I very much enjoyed this.

    ReplyDelete